Choosing a Pilates training program isn’t an easy task. You really have to be your own investigator before jumping in head first. It’s a big commitment, mentally, physically and financially. Once you’re ready to leap – here are 5 helpful tips in choosing the program that best suits you.
- Find your Pilates Personality. During your Pilates practice, ask yourself – What kind of client am I? What kind of teachers am I drawn to? Do I enjoy more focus on specific anatomy or do I want a teacher who focuses more on the bigger picture and just makes me feel good overall? Finding a teacher who inspires you is a great step to finding a program that will inspire you. We are all products of what we’ve experienced & learned.
- Location, Location, Location. Beginning a training program is a timely commitment so be sure to decide on a feasible location that works for you and your family. Don’t forget, you will have to put in pre-requisite class hours and possibly apprenticeship hours.
- Get Friendly. Once you start narrowing down programs, ask the teacher trainers if they offer free informational sessions. If they do not, ask to schedule a time to meet. Make sure you like them. Make sure you fall in love with their teaching philosophy. It seems a no brainer but do you really want to spend all that time and money on something you don’t love?
- To Comp or to Not? Before hopping into a program, find out if they offer a full comprehensive training. Even if you’re not sure you want to teach anything but mat classes, if you end up wanting the full training experience it’s easier to build upon what you’ve already got than to start from square one.
- Does it Teach You How to Teach? Ah, the question of the hour! Investigate your program and ask a lot of questions. Find out if your program of interest really teaches you how to teach. Will you learn modifications? Will you learn how to teach any client – no matter their age, shape, experience level, or athletic ability? Is the program just memorizing a sequence of exercises or will you learn the how, what, where, and WHY of each exercise?
No matter which program you choose, the most important thing is that you are passionate about Pilates. Love what you do. Become it. Let it shine. It’s the best way to inspire others around you! Happy hunting!
Questions about teacher training opportunities at The Pilates Project? Contact us today!